While it’s normal to want writers to provide addresses or SSNs for tax purposes, you shouldn’t have to provide your Driver’s License ID number, bank details (unless you’re being paid by Direct Deposit), names of the members of your family, school information, information regarding personal habits (unless it pertains to the gig) and any other personal information that is, in essence, none of your client’s business.
Questions to ask:
1. Why do you need my social security number (or other private information)?
2. Where will you keep this information?
3. Is this form encrypted? (hint: when using an online form look for “https” rather than “http”.)
4. Who else will have access to my information?
5. How are you protecting my information?
6. What will happen if I don’t provide the required information?
7. Can I wait and give you my Social Security Number towards the end of the year after we’ve established a trusted relationship? –Freelance Writing Jobs